Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Weekly Log - 6

Hello, cousins!

 I'm a couple of days late with my Monday post, but what is "time," after all?

Research:

Things have been low-key stressful around here these last few weeks. We put an offer in on a house, and now we're going through the process that leads to Moving In. I hate waiting for events, and Moving In is definitely an Event, so that fuels some anxiety. In the world, I've also been paying attention to a looming possible Russian invasion in Ukraine, and... like I said, I hate waiting. (As of this writing, Mr. Putin has said he plans to back off, but I won't feel relaxed until his troops pull back.)

Researching family history calms me, so that has been the focus of my time. I've been working on three different angles:

1. Rounding out the siblings of my great-grandfather, David Ulysses Clark, on WikiTree. (This also lead me down a slight rabbit hole, as two of his siblings married individuals from the May family, and I felt like I needed to sort out who is who for the day when I come back to David's wife, Vicie, who is descended from the Mays on her mother's side.) Next up on the Sibling Adventure: Howard Ray "Dick" Witter!

2. When I'm not at my desk, updating WikiTree is too hard for my little Chromebook, so during TV time, I've started populating the projects I set up for my wife's four grandparents. They'll eventually start going into WikiTree, too, but for now, I'm just "scouting". (See "Find of the Week" below!)

3. I've also started copy-pasting The Callin Family History biographies into WikiTree, as time permits. This has been a useful exercise in finding last-minute gaps or errors in the text that I can then fix. 

Find of the Week

Immigrants! And a cool family name!

My wife's ancestors are much more recent than mine, for the most part. Her grandma June Shuffler had a maternal grandfather born in Denmark in 1876. June's husband, Bob McCullough, also had recent immigrants on his maternal side: his grandfather, Bernard Blom, was born on 30 Jun 1861 in Angerlo, Zevenaar, Gelderland, Netherlands, and his wife's parents, immigrated from what was then Prussia in the 1850s. 

Her maternal branch appears to originate mostly in Iowa by way of New York (with the exception of her great-grandfather, William Arvid Holmquist, born in Sweden), but they boast one of the more interesting names I've run across, as at least two women in that family were called "Jenevereth". Zelpha Hoot is still my hands-down favorite, but I look forward to learning where "Jenevereth" originated!


Homework

If you're so inclined, I hope you'll take a look at WikiTree.com, and consider at least adding your profile there. If we're related, look me up - Callin-50 - and add me to your "Trusted List" so I can make sure you're connected to the rest of the world tree.

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment