Thursday, January 22, 2015

Photo Feature: Places in the Heartland

A change of scenery this week as we take a look at places instead of people. "Where the Heck Are They?" still gets a #WTHAT hashtag, right?

First up, we have two of three photo postcards.

Huff residence, c. 1908 (from lt.: Merle, Rosa, Albert)


Huff residence, c. 1908 (from lt.: Rosa, Merle, Albert)


Both appear to be different views of the same house - the trees are similar in both, you can see the windmill over the roof in both (though the second one is severely over-exposed), and the three people in each picture seem to be the same three people. They're wearing the same clothes, at least.

All three of the postcards are in a sleeve that looks like the one to the right. They have no studio name, no date, no postmarks or stamps (they appear not to have been mailed) and no other identifying marks or dates - with a couple of exceptions.

1. The one which shows the two women seated on the porch has my grandmother's handwriting on the back, identifying the man as my great-great grandfather Albert Huff and the women as Rosa Huff and Merle Huff - my great-great grandmother and their daughter, my great-grandmother, respectively. (See "My Sixteen" for more on them.)

2. The third photo, below, has some lettering in the bottom left corner - "D-81-8" - which could have some meaning.


Mystery house - possibly in Savonburg, KS, c. 1908

I'm guessing at the year on all three; it's likely that the Huffs were having portraits taken of their old homestead before moving to Arizona. They could have also intended to give these to the Huff kids who were moving away from home so they could take "home" with them.

As always, if you have any clues, dive into the comments below or drop me a private note.



Profile of the blogger
as a middle aged man
 If you're following the rest of my posts, you might have noticed that I label them (labels at the bottom) with categories so you can quickly find, say, all of the "Callin" posts that will appear over time.

WTHAT = "Who the Heck Are They?" These are pictures that I have in my physical possession whose subjects are unknown to me. I'm hoping the Internet will recognize them, and maybe someone will let me know who they are.

GBOH = "Great Beards of History!" As a proud beard owner, I love finding examples of stunning facial hair in the family. Yes, sometimes, I will use this to share amazing moustaches, as well.

3 comments:

  1. HI there, imagine my surprise in finding more pictures of Savonburg! Can I visit with you about possible permission to use your images for our upcoming Savonburg Days (10-28-2017) Myself and several other townsfolk are trying to gather old images of Savonburg to place for a self guided tour of the town. If you have been here at all, you will know that there is not much at all left of what was once a thriving community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to help, if I can - you can email me at callintad@gmail.com and I'll see what I can find for you.

      Delete
  2. Also to get access to all the old photos we currently hold, search for 'Savonburg Pride" and City of Savonburg on Facebook. (along with current photos of some of our work projects).

    ReplyDelete